Friday, March 26, 2010

Flame Vine

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the climate of Kathmandu Valley is actually subtropical (despite its high altitude). Throughout my time in Nepal, I kept coming across a beautiful vine in full flower that was equally happy rambling up a desolate wall, sublimely ascending an ancient stupa, or tranquilly showcased in stately formal gardens... It was the flame vine (Pyrostegia venusta), a native of South America...


Here are several pictures of a flame vine growing on a home in the Lalitpur countryside (taken on our walk upon leaving the botanical garden)...

Flame vine close up detail

We next boarded a bus (more like a small van with a sliding door) on our way to the next destination... Unfortunately I did not take any pictures during the transit, but it was quite an enjoyable experience (rather like the game of sardines in which the van became more and more packed as the journey progressed). I think I have a picture of a similar bus that I will post later...

1 comment:

Andrew Hemme said...

As Beatrix Farrand would say, it's a "botanical entablature." Perhaps a phrase like that is more fitting for a dignified neoclassical building and not a provincial shelter.