Friday, March 19, 2010

National Botanical Garden of Nepal

For my first full day in Kathmandu, I was quite excited to be able to visit the National Botanical Garden at Godawari, Kathmandu (formerly the Royal Botanical Garden). Junni's brother, Bishav, and sister's brother-in-law, Praful, served as my tour guides for the day. However, they later joked that I was really touring them around (due to my knowledge of plants).

Main entrance gate at the garden

It was a fascinating garden with many beautiful vignettes. However, it was apparent that the political turmoil and civil strife over the last decade in Nepal had taken its toll on the garden (due to the minimal maintenance in much of the garden)... I was eager to view the conservatory, but as we approached, it appeared abandoned. In fact it reminded me of the abandoned facilities in the sequel to the movie Jurassic Park, The Lost World...

Approaching the conservatory

Unfortunately, the hothouse was locked and was not open to the public. I went to all four sides, and sure enough each door was padlocked... It was evident, however, that the plants inside were still maintained since there was humidity on the windows (indicative of regular watering). Next time I go, I hope to be able to enter inside!

In the same general section of the garden, there was an old temple that was being restored. I was told that it was the ancestral hall of a particular family, named Bista, and it was interesting to see the signs of restoration... in a way it conveyed a feeling of optimism and hope for the future of the rest of the gardens.

In front of the temple

One of the most alluring viewsheds in the garden was a stream that wound its way throughout the core of the garden. We had to stop to get a picture...


It was quite a relaxing excursion...



1 comment:

suzeena said...

hey hi,thanks 4r visiting nepal,its been so long rite?i like ur blog.its 2 gud,ur writing style is very impressive.