Saturday, July 12, 2008

湖北省博物馆 - Hubei Provincial Museum

Following the activities at the Wuhan Botanical Garden, Prof. Xie and Ms. Pan asked if I had been able to visit any of the cultural or historic sites while in Wuhan. Their garden did not want me to leave Wuhan without taking away an understanding of the rich history of the region. After explaining where I had already visited, Ms. Pan suggested that I also go to the Hubei Provincial Museum, and explained that her whole afternoon was scheduled to show me around if I wanted a guide (Prof. Xie had other work to attend to and was unable to join us). I could hardly refuse such a generous offer, so to the museum it was!


The main building in the museum complex


As I mentioned in my previous post, Hubei province comprises much of what was formerly the ancient State of Chu (during the Spring and Autumn and Warring States Period). Thus the museum was full of artifacts from this period - unearthed from ancient tombs - including bronze wares, Jade objects, and musical instruments.


A set of ancient bronze Ding - a type of cooking/serving vessel


A set of bronze wine vessels - this is only one of four pairs ever discovered in all of China



Though the wooden frame is a reconstruction, this set of bronze bells are original - dating back approximately 2,400 years

I had hoped to leave you with a short video clip so you could hear replicas of the ancient instruments being played. However, due to a slow connection speed it did not work. I will keep trying to upload it though so stay tuned!

1 comment:

MJ_Q said...

Thanks for the blog updates. Sounds like a great trip indeed. I look forward to hearing about the other visits in the coming days.