Monday, July 7, 2008

我的长城探险 (My Great Wall Adventure)

Hello all! I hope this posting finds everyone well. Believe it or not, within 5 hours of arriving in Beijing yesterday morning, I had the wonderful opportunity to meet my good friend, Fei Guo to trek out to the Ba-da-ling (八达岭) portion of the Great Wall. Fei's family currently lives in Beijing and he is working on his PhD at the University of Delaware. As you can see from these pictures, we had great fun!


这是我
This is Me




这是非
This is Fei



Amazingly, as Fei and I were climbing the Great Wall, who did we run into? None other than Daniel, the leader of our San Francisco->Los Angeles->Beijing odyssey. Sure, you could say we were in the same city so it was bound to happen . . . but considering it is a city with 20 million or so people and various Great Wall access points, it was quite exciting to run into him again!
After our expedition to the Great Wall, Fei and I explored the sites around the Tian'anmen Square (天安门广场). Including some of the new architectural marvels completed in time for the Olympics next month. This building (known affectionately by locals as "the Egg") is a new opera hall, fitting of a world-class city of this magnitude. The architectural diversity of the city is truly amazing (considering the 600+ year old Forbidden City is opposite the Egg on the other side of the street . . .

More to come - so stay tuned=-)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Barnabas,
This's me, Irene ,one of ur horticulture club member from Taiwan. Did you remember me?^^ We hung out for serverl times for visiting botanical gardens last year. I had already came back to Taiwan since last July. Now, I'm working in Benjing and have a short business trip in ShiHei. I got your blog address from Jim's email and saw you come to visit here. Maybe I can be your tour guide if you stay longer.
Sincerely,
Irene

Anonymous said...

By the way, my emile is thc960@yahoo.com.tw

Anonymous said...

Hi Barnabas

Good to know your tour in China.Take care and have fun:)

Anonymous said...

oh,by the way, I am Ruilan Huang:)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the beauty around you. I am enjoying visiting China through your trip and meeting those you are meeting. Thank you.

Sarah Quigg said...

Too many stairs for me! It looks gorgeous though.