Thursday, July 10, 2008

颐和园 (Summer Palace, Beijing)

Following my meeting/visit to the Institute of Botany, and prior to my departing Beijing, I made sure to visit the famous Summer Palace. This vast garden and palace complex was built around a man-made lake and man-made mountain and served as the official retreat for the Imperial families of China for centuries prior to the fall of the Qing Dynasty in 1911.

Since I only had one afternoon/evening to visit the palace, I was not deterred by the, at times, torrential downpours. It was a rather dreary day, but the timeless beauty of the palace evoked an enchanting feel nonetheless.


3 comments:

Curtis Hill said...

Thanks for the updates. Looking forward to hearing about it.

Curtis

Anonymous said...

Wow!!! Beijing, Wuhan....I wish I were with you! :) Have fun and be safe! Find a Chinese girl to take back with you :)) Abby

Sarah Quigg said...

The fog gives it a real mystical feel. I love the photos of the bridges! Hopefully you didn't get too wet!